Aphrodite Hills is a resort area in the west coast of Cyprus in the Paphos district. It is only a short drive away from the Mediterranean beach area. Named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, passion, and beauty, it has the biggest and the best golf course on the island. Not just casual golfing, Aphrodite Hills has over the years also hosted many professional golf tournaments including the European Tour events. The latest European Tour tournament was held in the golf resort in 2020.
Other than golf, the Aphrodite Hills resort also has a tennis academy, a soccer school, horse riding club, bike riding, children’s club, and an award-winning spa. The resort has a village center built in traditional style. There are many gardens, fountains, play areas, shops, boutiques, cafes, bakeries, and restaurants. In between, there are many fantastic holiday villas for rent that are very close to these facilities.
The tourist infrastructure here is very good. Aphrodite Hills attracts a lot of tourists. Many people come here to learn golfing or to improve their game. It is popular also among families as there are a lot of activities for the kids. Others come to the resort to enjoy its lush greenery and have a relaxing vacation. The resort has some of the best villas on the island, modern properties packed with amenities and surrounded by nature. The beach area is very close, which is always a big advantage.
Aphrodite Hills Map
Aphrodite Hills – Quick Facts
- A golf, leisure, and real estate resort in west Cyprus
- The largest and most popular golf course on the island
- The resort is spread over 234 hectares. It is in the middle of a protected forest.
- 92% of the land has greenery, landscaping, and indigenous plantation
- The village center has Greco-Roman architecture
- The buildings are made with locally quarried stone
- Other facilities – tennis, soccer, horse riding, bike riding, and spa.
- The beach area is only 10 minutes away by road
- Paphos is 24.9 kilometers away by the A6
Best Time to Visit
You can visit the Aphrodite Hills resort throughout the year. But the best time to visit the resort is from March to September. Spring between March and June and summer between June and September are both good. The weather is pleasant. It can be hot during the summer, but the resort’s lush greenery will make it very comfortable.
You can also visit the resort for golfing throughout the year, even during the winter. Cyprus has warm winters because of the Mediterranean. In 2020, the golf tournaments were held between end October and early November.
The summer season between June and September is hot. There will rarely be any clouds. The evening, though, is very pleasant. It is pleasant even during the day because the resort is located in a higher altitude, because of the lush greenery everywhere, and the wind from the Mediterranean. Autumn, between October and November, is cooler. Winter is between December and January. But you do not need woolens usually. The nearby Troodos Mountains will obviously be much colder.
|Weather in Protaras|
|Average high, °C||17||18||20||23||26||30||33||34||31||27||23||19||27|
|Average low, °C||8||8||10||13||17||21||24||24||21||17||13||9||20|
Golfing at Aphrodite Hills
Designed by Cabell Robinson, a famous golf course architect from Washington DC, USA, it is an 18-hole golf course that is spread over 6,877 yards. It was opened officially in 2002 and since then has hosted many golf tournaments, including European Tour events, the latest in the end of 2020. The course has also won several awards, including the prestigious International Association of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO) Awards in Cannes. 680 golfers from around the world cast their votes and selected this course out of more than 2,000 worldwide.
The course has tiered greens and challenging bunkers. Throughout the course, there are carob and olive trees. It is on two plateaus of a mountain. A ravine divides them. You will get superb Mediterranean Sea views from many places in the course. You will get stunning views from almost all the holes, but the 7th hole offers the best views.
It is a great course for golfers of all levels, both intermediate and advanced players. There are also learning programs for beginners. The facilities here are some of the best in Europe. To make them even better, the authorities have recently invested 2.5 million Euros to modernize the golf course. The bunkers and greens have been rebuilt.
There is a second smaller golfing area, called the Secret Valley Golf Course, close by. Both the courses overlook the Aphrodite Rock, which is believed to be the birthplace of the Greek goddess. The rock, beach area, and the historic city of Paphos can be reached easily from the golf course. They are all very close.
The village center has Greco-Roman architecture. The houses are made of locally quarried stone. There is a chapel, souvenir shops, a market, restaurants, splashing fountains, an art gallery, and fragrant gardens.
Other Facilities at the Resort
- Tennis Club – There is a tennis academy with 9 professional-level courts. 4 of them are hard courts, while the other 5 are clay courts. There is coaching for both beginners and experienced players. There is also a retail outlet.
- Horse Riding – The riding club is located in the resort’s north end. The school offers private lessons for riders of all ages, both experienced and beginner riders. Enjoy and learn off-road riding in the beautiful countryside. There is also a Pony Club where the kids can learn to care for the ponies.
- Soccer School – The resort has collaborated with the Dream Team Soccer School of the UK to help the kids improve their soccer skills. The school has more than 20 years of coaching experience. They employ UEFA and FA qualified coaches. Soccer coaching is offered for both boys and girls.
- Golf Academy – The golf academy offers both group and individual lessons. Their PGA trainers can help you improve your game in a relaxed environment. There are very good facilities at the academy, including 350-metre driving range that has many targets and several areas for short game practicing. The Academy also offers corporate team building lessons.
- Hiking, Cycling – There are many trails for running, trekking, and cycling around the resort. They are all marked properly. Some of them are easy routes, while the others can be quite challenging. You can climb to the summit close to the village of Kouklia to get a breathtaking view of the Mediterranean and the landscape.
- Children's Club – The club entertains children, both babies and toddlers between 6 and 42 months, and also kids between 3 and 12 years. There are both outdoor shaded areas and indoor facilities with play areas and many fun-filled activities.
The Aphrodite Hills resort has a spa that has won many awards, including the World Luxury Spa Awards for 2020. Surrounded by fragranced gardens, this is a world of serenity. This is one of the best spas in Europe for relaxing detox sessions. Spread over 3,000 square meters, it has 27 holistic treatment rooms, 6 heat rooms, a hammam, and gym. The spa offers beauty treatments, massage and alternative therapies, feet and hand treatments, bath therapies, and signature rituals.
Top 5 Restaurants
- Zimi – A good choice for a quick bite. Zimi offers salads, pasta, and pizza. The cuisine is definitely Italian. Open for lunch and dinner, they cook their pizzas in a wood fire oven.
- Anoi Pub and Grill – The best place for wines and beer. They also serve appetizers and main courses. Large screens feature live sporting events. The outside terrace of this pub offers very good views of the Mediterranean. You can also get sunset views with your glass of beer or wine.
- Asian Corner – It serves Chinese food, sushi and sashimi. This is one of the most popular restaurants in Aphrodite Hills. Traditional Asian décor with water features that provide a calming effect. Exotic fish from the orient is on display.
- Brassiere – The L'Atelier – This is a French restaurant with a Mediterranean twist. You will get the best of French wines with fine food. Located in the village square, it has a simple and airy feel.
- Golf Clubhouse – You will get the best views of the golf course from its clubhouse. The terrace is the best place for relaxation. Both golfers and non-golfers can come here for breakfast and lunch.
There are quite a few hotels in the resort. The Atlantica is undoubtedly the most popular. It has the award-winning Retreat Spa. There are a few other smaller hotels in the area and even a few apartments.
Villas at Aphrodite Hills
There are many luxury villas for rent throughout the resort. Each vacation property offers high-end living with modern luxuries and complete privacy. Choose from 4, 5, and 6-bedroom properties in Aphrodite Hills with a private swimming pool, Jacuzzi, lush tropical garden, barbecue, housekeeping, chef service, coffee machine, hair dryer, a well-equipped kitchen, outdoor/indoor living spaces, and many more features.
Located in Aphrodite’s exclusive community, Villa Weston is the perfect vacation paradise for you, your family and friends. With fantastic ocean views, this 4 bedroom, 4 and a half bath, luxury villa has everything you would need for the ideal Cyprus getaway, including an expansive terrace, heated pool, and hot tub.
Rate this article:
Rated 4.5 / 5 based on 2 reviews.