Coral Bay is one of the most popular beaches in Cyprus. It is a crescent-shaped beach in the Peyia municipality, 13.2 kilometers north of the city of Paphos in the island’s western part. Coral Bay is a 600-meter stretch of soft white sandy beach between two headlands. It is a Blue Flag beach, extremely popular for its sea caves nearby, swimming, and sailing activities. There are many banana plantations, vineyards, and historic sites nearby.
This is a very popular beach for families visiting Cyprus or those staying in the Paphos area. You can swim safely because there are lifeguards during the swimming season. The water is clean as well. Many sunbeds and umbrellas are placed on the beach. In the summer months, there are parties on the beach as well. Many tourists also like to visit the Laourou beach, which is just 5 kilometers from Coral Bay.
The beach has good infrastructure for tourists. You will find showers, sunbeds, toilets, and water sport, such as windsurfing, jet skiing, sailing, and hang-gliding. There are many restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops that offer local Cypriot preparations and seafood. There is live music in some places too.
Visit the heritage areas close to the beach. Dine at traditional cafes. Swim, eat and shop at Coral Bay. Keen on history? Visit the Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site and Maa Palaiokastro Museum at the northern end of the beach. There are many hotels and villas for rent in Coral Bay.
Coral Bay Map
Coral Bay – Quick Facts
- Coral bay is on the west coast of Cyprus. This Blue Flag beach is between Peyia and Paphos, both popular with tourists.
- Closest airport – Paphos (20 kilometers)
- Many sunbeds and umbrellas.
- The Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site and Maa Palaiokastro us nearby.
- There are many watersports activities to choose from on the beach.
- Crescent-shaped sandy beach that extends for 600 meters. Located between two rocky headlands.
- It is popular with families, young people, and couples.
- Great for swimming and long walks.
- Many restaurants, taverns, cafes, bars and shops. The main strip has stylish clubs and pubs.
- Shopping includes finely crafted goods, jewelry, pottery, lace and ornaments.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Coral Bay is between the end of February and early June and again between October and December. The summer is hot, dry, while the winter is mild. The temperature is around 23 C from June to November. May to September is hottest. The coolest month of the year is January. There can be showers in December.
You will get sunny days in Coral Bay from May to September. The hottest month is July with an average temperature of 26 C. July gets the least rainfall. Summer is the best time to go for swimming and other water activities. Winter is the best time for outdoor activities like trekking and cycling. There can be thundershowers in the winter due to high precipitation.
|Climate in Coral Bay|
|Average high, °C||17||17||19||22||24||28||30||30||29||27||23||19||27|
|Average low, °C||7||7||9||11||14||18||21||21||19||16||13||10||20|
How to Reach Coral Bay, Cyprus?
- By Air – The closest international airport is at Paphos, only 20 kilometers from the beach. It will take about 40 minutes from the airport.
- By Road – Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus is 160.6 kilometers from the beach. It will take you about two and a half hours by road. Coral Bay is a 30-minute drive from Paphos. Peyia is only 4.3 kilometers away. You can drive your own car or rent a car to reach this beautiful beach.
Top Things to Do at Coral Bay
- Water Sports – Choose from banana boats, fly fish, or a rainbow-colored parasail. Kids love the pedalos. The beach is also a popular place for sailing. Explore the Zenobia shipwreck on a dive. There is a diving school right at the center of the beach. To the north are water slides that open into the ocean.
- The Lara Bay Turtle Conservation Station is a short distance away.
- Visit the Paphos Archaeological park nearby. See the castle, mosaics, Forty Columns Fortress, the houses of Dionysus and Aion, Roman Odeon, lighthouse, and many other sites. The ancient Greek and Roman city’s remains are still under excavation. This is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Maa Palaiokastro Archaeological Site is in the northern headlands of the bay. The archaeological site dates back to 1200 B.C. Also visit the museum.
- Tomb of the Kings – 14 minutes by road from the bay, this is a large necropolis and another UNESCO Heritage site on the island.
- Paphos Aphrodite Festival – The festival is held on the first weekend of September. An opera festival is organized in front of the Paphos Castle.
- Coral Bay Avenue is the best place for food and drinks. There are many restaurants and bars here that often play music with DJs performing.
- Head to the Avakas Gorge for adventure. Only 20 minutes by road from the bay, the gorge has fantastic rocky formations on both the walls. Walk through pine and juniper trees. Come back in three hours.
Coral Bay is an extremely popular beach, both with the locals and tourists. This is a crescent-shaped sandy beach that runs for 600 meters between two headlands on either side. The water is clean and safe for swimming. There are no riptides. Lifeguards keep a safe watch in the swimming season. But you may still want to check the latest weather condition at your hotel or holiday villa before going out for a swim.
Take a sunbed and relax on the beach. Get a fabulous tan, or go out for a swim or sailing trip. Hire a boat for a full-day trip around the island. There are speed boats and banana boats too. Enjoy a beach party during the summer months. You can also head to the nearby Laourou beach on the opposite side of the northern headland or the Kerynias Beach.
Grab some good food at one of the taverns along the Coral Bay strip. Order a mezze platter that includes halloumi, olives, houmous, and tzatziki. Try calamari and grilled fish.
Shopping at Coral Bay
There are very few shops close to the beach. The main street has many kiosks that sell sunscreen, milk, butter, grocery items, magazines, and beachwear. Paphos is a much better place for shopping. If you are coming from Paphos, you will find most of the shops before the beach. Inside the town, however, you can visit Kyrgeli Supermarket & Souvenir Shop, Eveleos, Philippos Supermarket, Antonescos Plaza, and Shipshape.
- Head to Mylona and Gladstono for designer boutiques.
- Pick up souvenirs on Coral Bay Avenue. Choose from pottery, woodwork, jewelry and lace works.
Nightlife at Coral Bay
Aiya Napa is the best place on the island for nightlife. But you will still get live music and nightlife almost every night of the week at Coral Bay. Blazing Saddles and the Dirty Martini Bar are two good places. Local musicians perform Greek songs in some restaurants. Go to Kikkos for exotic dances with live music. The Cleos Cocktail Bar also have a small dance floor. DJs perform in the weekends.
Top 6 Restaurants
- Coral King – International and traditional Cypriot cuisine in a relaxing atmosphere. You cannot miss the golden crown on its roof. Try Cypriot foods at the tavern, including swordfish, lamb, and king prawns.
- Seriani – Best for international and Mediterranean cuisine. Try the Greek salad, swordfish steak, suckling pig, and their prawns.
- Sidayes – Fine dining French restaurant. Try the lamb chops, lobster bisque.
- Corallo – Offers traditional Greek food that is both vegetarian and vegan-friendly. You can also have non-veg, including pork chops, lamb shank, and and chicken. This was the first restaurant on the Coral Bay Avenue.
- Ocean Basket – is Cyprus’s favorite chain of restaurants. It serves authentic sea food. So, drop by for a platter.
- Kiko’s Bar – Watch live sports on the big screens, while tasting cocktails and Long Island Iced Teas. There are Karaoke nights twice weekly.
There are good places to stay at Coral Bay. Some of the bigger hotels are Coral Thalassa, Coral Beach Hotel & Resort, and the Ascos Coral Beach Hotel. You will find both star-category hotels and budget properties. The best hotels come with outdoor pools, spas, and restaurants.
Villas at Coral Bay
Live a life of luxury at a holiday villa for rent at Coral Bay. There are villas of all sizes, from 3-bedroom properties to huge 7-bedroom mansions. The villas are more spacious than an average star-category hotel. They have manicured lawns, gardens, swimming pool, air-conditioning, and BBQ. They are just for family holidays or a romantic getaway. Many villas are just a step away from the beach.
Rate this article:
Rated 4.5 / 5 based on 2 reviews.